Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Just mix 1 part Fear and 1 part Laziness...

There are tons of recipes available online that will instruct you on how to make just about anything. Wood floor cleaner? Toothpaste? Granola? Why buy it in a store, in a package, when you can make it?

Notice I said YOU can make it.

I love DIY. I love saving money and customizing stuff that fits my life. I also get some thrills and jollies from being able to say "I made that!".

So what, pray tell, is preventing me from actually making my own shampoo, glass cleaner, and mouth wash? I have bought all the ingredients for them. Paid money. Money that could have been spent on lattes.

Well, I'm kind of afraid that they won't work, and I'm also kind of lazy. I don't personally know anyone who uses baking soda to cleanse her hair, or vinegar in a spray bottle to wash her bathroom mirror, or anyone who has cooked up a pot of vodka, water, lemongrass, and minty essential oils into some home brewed mouthwash. My goal for this week is to try all three of these concoctions and let you know how it goes. Les is begging me not to try to make my own mouthwash until he is satisfactorily convinced (via consult with his chemist dad) that I will not poison myself.

But if you can't stand the suspense, or know me well enough to suspect that I might just give up and watch JAWS on DVD rather than clean the bathroom tonight, you can check out this handy "Does it work?" road test of some popular home-made cleaning products, brought to you by Gizmodo.

1 comment:

  1. Ok the mouthwash sounds awesome, hilarious, and death defying! I cant wait to hear about it. But you do know someone who cleans their mirrors and windows with vinegar in a spray bottle! =) I'll do the shampoo with you! Because FYI - I'm having a hard time with the deodorant thing, I'm feeling a bit European by the end of the day. Let's figure that one out - how goes it with you?

    ReplyDelete