Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Armpit Manifesto?

It's only 9:32am and I can already tell you that the Alba Botanical deodorant is going to make me completely crazy by noon.

Today is my first trial run of the safer stick, and to be fair, I'm wearing a sort of irritating little jacket over my dress, but sticky pits are derailing my already flagging concentration.

I know that deodorant is not the same as antiperspirant. And I also know that if I were wearing a more breathable, less-armpit-snug ensemble today I might not be so bothered. But today, my armpits = gross.

So I'll try it again tomorrow with a smarter outfit choice and see if that makes a difference. But handily, Twitter brought me this post from the Mother Nature Network with a few additional home-made deodorant options. Including how to use cornstarch and baking soda to reduce that sticky-pit sensation that has made those sweet-smelling-but-toxic antiperspirant sticks a mainstay of even the crunchiest toiletry cabinets.

This is what my armpits want:
  • Safe ingredients that are not linked to cancer, death, doom, or any other human or environmental badness
  • To not have my clothes stick to them, or become soggy in a pool of sweat
  • To smell at least neutral, and ideally pleasant
  • To be cared for for less than $18 per deodorant stick (even a really pretty, sweet smelling, safe deodorant stick)
G3 readers - Anyone want to go on a home-made deodorant adventure with me? We could try different recipes and report back. I know at least one of you (my favorite Nashvillian) has gone home-made and lived to tell the tale.

1 comment:

  1. ME ME ME! I'm concerned I'm going to get the... "She's so nice, but as a but of B.O issue" from the neighbors, librarians, checkout clerks etc..

    Can we have a little alchemist party and whip up some different batches to try?!

    ReplyDelete