Monday, October 3, 2011

October Gray Update and The Scariest Challenge Yet

So here is a camera phone shot of my October gray hair:

Not the most flattering photo of me, and yes, I am sitting at my desk taking random snaps with my camera phone, but I've been wearing my hair like this A LOT lately (messy bun, teeny-bopper elastic head band), and I think you can really see the silvery stripes quite nicely. Anyway, I'm diggin the stripes. I like the messy bun so far. But I'm eager to have an actual hair style rather than just a thick mass of hair, so I'm excited that I finally made a hair cut appointment for Oct. 22. Yay.

But really, the gray is the least of my worries these days. Because today marks my official first day as a 5-day-a-week Vegan.

Yep. 5 days on, with 2 days of wiggle room.

I'm going "mostly vegan" for the month of October. The idea has been stirring around in my head for a while now, and it actually part of a larger effort to overhaul my sugar-fat-cheese-crap laden diet and see if I have more energy and sleep better than I currently do. And force me to get deliberate about my protein management. And it was one of those things where all of a sudden it seems like reinforcement for your inkling idea just keeps flying at you from the universe. The farm that sold us our Happy Eggs at the farmers market told us this weekend that they are no longer "doing eggs". And while generally my cheese consumption is over the top ridiculous, we are actually out of all our usual cheese products at the moment, so I'm just not going to buy any more. For a month.

And I'm reading "The Emperor of All Maladies"  about cancer. And last month I finished "In Defense of Food" which, while not promoting veg or vegan eating, still smacked me in the head with all kinds of plant-based encouragement. But what really pushed me over the edge was when I sat down at the laptop last night to distract myself from some other life stresses and Netflix suggested "Forks Over Knives" for me to watch. So I did. And right there, I decided that the vegan experiment was a go. It's not that all the facts and figures in the movie are unquestionably accurate (there are plenty of online critiques you can read about how the material was presented, and the facts on which they base their claims). It was just the last nudge I needed to look at my fridge, my waistline, my cupboards full of processed food, and my values about creation care and animal welfare and decide to try something different.

It's almost time for lunch, and I know just where I'm going to go. Wow Bao is an Asian food place with several delish vegan options. And I'm going to take some vegan cookbooks with me to lunch and make a shopping list.

So, wish me luck! I'm pretty excited, actually. I'm pretty bored with all of my current food ruts, so bring on the Veg!

1 comment:

  1. it's funny...while i was navigating over to your blog i thought to myself, "too bad jfish is not vegan. otherwise, maybe she'd be participating in vegan mofo and blogging EVERY DAY!" (what can i say, i'm greedy for more posts). i'd say that this was ironically close enough (minus the daily postings). here's to a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete