Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vegan MOFO is a thing. Who knew?

So apparently October is also "Vegan MOFO", more politely known as Vegan Month of Food, which is a blogosphere celebration of vegan eating and vegan bloggers. Or something. It depends on who and what you read, and my internet is behaving poorly tonight so I couldn't look it up very easily. I think also part of the intent it to help people see that you can eat a plant-based, animal-free diet and still, you know... eat.

And in that spirit, I must confess that my first two days of vegan experiment were hit-and-miss.

Yesterday, I ate:

Granola and almond milk (turns out the granola had honey in it - technically NOT vegan, but I'm not going to stress about honey)

Veggie rice bowl and an edamame dumpling from Wow Bao + an apple

Um. For dinner I had half a slice of deep dish pizza. FAIL. Allow me to explain.

Les went out to the burbs to see his family yesterday during the day, because Mondays are his mom's day off. He ordered a pizza. He very thoughtfully brought a slice home for me, forgetting that I had just announced that I was going vegan for the month of October. As a former strict vegan himself, I thought he would be totally gung-ho about this plan. And he is. But I couldn't resist a sliver of Lou Malnati's pizza. Good thing we can start fresh every day.

Today I ate:

Granola and soy milk

Pasta and sauce from home, apple, cup of minestrone soup and saltines

Soy latte + KIND bar (it had honey in it too)

English muffin + peanut butter

Handful of spiced almonds that Les made

And now I'm sitting here blogging, wishing I had made it to the grocery store tonight so that I could have some ACTUAL dinner. But I was lazy and didn't make it, and we don't have a whole lot in the house at the moment. So hopefully the rest of the vegan month will be more interesting. And more vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment