Friday, November 18, 2011

Give Thanks for More Than Plenty

Our "Eat Our Way Out of Chicago" tour is going gangbusters, and pants-busters. I'm thankful and humbled by all the brunch, lunch, dinner, coffee, and dessert dates we've been able to squeeze in over the past week or so, and the calendar reminds me that we have several more to go! Lunch and coffee treats today, dinner tonight, brunch tomorrow, lunch and/or dinner tomorrow... and on and on and OMG I AM GOING TO EXPLODE. With awesome.

Now, I'm all for the frugal and healthy decision to do "non-food" socializing with friends. And I do love to go for a walk or kayak or window shop or watch a movie or volunteer or any of those other fun activities that do not circle the plate. But there is something really great about sharing a meal with your friends. Or even just a coffee. Les and I had dinner last night with my two Rogers Park Besties, Michelle and Jackie. The food itself was pretty OK, but the talking and laughing and fry-stealing and what-is-this-terrible-open-mic-night-nonsense eye rolling were just so great. And I've been counting down the days to tonight's Jess and Andrea Annual Christmas Dinner with my sweet college girl friends. And it is good. I give thanks.

While I was driving to work this morning, I heard that one of the area's largest food pantries is not going to be able to give out any turkey dinner food boxes this Thanksgiving because their donations are so low and the demand is so high. And I thought about Les's suggestion that we volunteer somewhere for Thanksgiving this year. And then I gave more thanks. Maybe I'm just too busy with the move and everything, but I don't have any energy to feel guilty right now. I'm just trying to be mindful of THANKS. Over and over and over and over again. Remembering that God is good all the time, in plenty and in times when, as my grandma would say "you don't have two dimes to rub together". I think about this Scripture verse that we read at my mom's memorial service - Philippians 4:11-13.
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Isn't this hard to remember, though, sometimes? My mom was an unusually thankful, gracious person; traits which I think were sharpened through years of hardship, sorrow, joy, friendship, and a keen eye for God's provision in all circumstances. She was the ultimate "Glass Half Full" girl. I am thankful for her example, and pray that I can cultivate her mindset and heart of abundance.

Anyway, this is kind of a rambling post. I'll sum it up by saying that Thanks Giving can feel like a discipline when times are tough and a Bonus Gift and privilege when blessings are pouring in. Hopefully the more we practice in the feast, the more natural and free-flowing it will be in the famine.

1 comment: