Monday, May 2, 2011

Silver Dusted - May Gray Hair Progress Report



As you can see, the roots are more like chunks at this point. The gray is really beginning to be a noticeable color in my hair.  I kind of like it. 

I kind of like it, and I also kind of want to chuck this experiment and go back to edgy chic chocolaty brown hair like this:

This was only 3 years ago!
Maybe a new hair cut would help. I like being able to pull it up, but the "wavy mop of salt and pepper" is only deepening my fear that I am slowly transforming into a hemp-necklace-wearing, sandal-footed hippie with hairy armpits and a closet full of long skirts. (This is a valid fear. I do drink my coffee out of a glass jar now.)

I still want to look put together and confident. I think I can be confident and rock the silver at 33, but it does feel like I need to cultivate "a look" so that I avoid sliding haplessly into a disheveled mess.

Fear is a big driver of consumption, you know? I've found my inner fear-monger trying to convince me that I'm going to have to dress very well and have perfect makeup if I'm determined to keep on with this experiment. Fear tells me that gray = old, and I'm not old enough to be old yet. Fear tells me to run immediately to Sephora and J Crew and suit up with a convincingly cool, confident, "Yes I have gray hair but I am ROCKING it" new look. Fear is making a pretty sly case. I won't pretend that I have not been chomping at the bit to get some new summer stuff.

But I've decided that my first plan of attack to keep the Buy Stuff whispers at bay will be to.... GET RID of STUFF! Yes. This is my new plan.

My wardrobe must be like an art collection or a prize-winning essay.  Ruthlessly edited, focused, honest, and unique. Which means that anything that does not flatter, fit, or fill me with joy must go. Only a small collection of running/yoga and sloth clothes allowed. That way, anything I pull out of the closet to wear will be a winner. It will work. I will rock it. Same goes for makeup. Into the heap with all my random, ill-suited shades and trendy products (when they are gone, of course, unless they are super toxic, and then I will just pitch them). I've done enough research now on safe and green cosmetics that I should be able to pare down my mess to a safe, healthy, beautiful batch of essentials and not bother with the other junk.

It hadn't really occurred to me that clothes and makeup would have much to do with my hair, but the grayer it gets and the kookier I start to look, the more I remember that my hair color is changing. Just like if I bleached myself blond or dove into cherry red. And that does change your whole look, not just your hair.

So if I'm not enlightened enough to give up caring about my looks all together, at least I'll try to face my Fear Buying demons head on, and with a handful of self-awareness and a wallet full of self control.

At least until the next J Crew bonus sale.

1 comment:

  1. Good Evening! I can only imagine the feeling of

    emptyness you have in your private moments.

    Graying should of always been. Bless women who

    come to know and accept the weird kind of beauty

    they were all along. Daniel

    ReplyDelete