Monday, March 14, 2011

A quick and quiet rant.

I'm feeling totally overwhelmed by all the awful things in the news today. Earthquake devastation - like total apocalyptic, worst-nightmare-nuclear-Friday kind of devastation. A farm house in PA burning down with 7 children inside. A guy being sentenced to prison for lighting the family puppy on fire in front of his children. Seriously. Too much terrible news.

The handful of photos of things like a Japanese rescue worker beaming down at the 4-month-old baby he just pulled from the wreckage and the adorableness of Cuteoverload notwithstanding, I truly feel like I might start dry heaving from intolerable levels of World Wide Terrible.

I've been pondering the pros and cons of a media fast. No news, no Huff Post, not even Dogster (so sooooo many sad stories of animal cruelty, I just can't take it anymore). Technically I guess that means I should shun Facebook as well, since so many people post news stories on their wall. Is that the best solution?

Give me (healthy, live) puppies and rainbows! I can't take it anymore!

Every time I feel overwhelmed by the suffering, pollution, pain and apathy in the world, my first inclination is to pack up and move to some yet-to-be-determined idyllic place where I can grow my own veggies, run in the grass with Aug Dog, and read and cook and write with Les. From that platform of peace and calm, I will begin to recruit other community-minded peeps to come join us. Not a utopia. Not a big barn-raising self-sustained farm town per se. Just a cluster of dear ones where we could really be IN each other's lives and families. Sharing things. Celebrating. Carrying each other's burdens.

Les and I were hanging out with some dear friends this weekend and we started talking about our wedding last May. Jessie and Eric (and many others) had done an enormous amount of work to help prepare for the wedding and even more work the day of. I thanked them again for all their help, and Eric reminded me that usually the bride's family is left to scurry around and quietly make sure everything goes off without a hitch. "And, in your case, that is us". A simple, beautiful statement about what we can and should be for each other. Even when the world feels like it is coming apart.

So anyway, who's with me? Location recommendations gladly accepted.

1 comment: