Monday, August 1, 2011

Home Made Laundry Detergent - Jess's Notes!

Last week I wrote a quick summary of Jess and my experience making our own Laundry Detergent from a recipe Jess found on Bonzai Aphrodite. We had a few questions from readers about some of the ingredients, and whether home-made detergent saves money.

Jess has far more experience with the ingredients and the cost analysis than I do, so here's what she had to say:
Washing soda is a product of baking soda - but different and needed! It can be found at hardware stores (usually) or at like independent grocery stores. Our local produce/international foods store carries that as well as Borax. I've seen Borax at Target. I think Wal-mart carries both as well, but I'm not sure since I don't shop there.
Does making detergent yourself save you money, since you have to buy all those ingredients?
I think the savings come into play if you use your ingredients to pull double duty for other cleaning products, then the versatility really stretches the dollar much further. I think the amount of detergent you can make for the price is cheaper than store-bought, but you are also spending your time (minimal) making this stuff and you have to decided if that's worth it. I'm not even sure what Tide cost these days because I've been using 7th generation for so long now and I know the homemade is way cheaper than that!
Cool. But does home-made detergent really work?
I just did a load of rugs that soaked up water from our flooded basement and they came out nice and clean, so I think the detergent is doing its job! Hope that helps and you are able to take your own adventure!
Thanks for your extra info, Jess!

More homesteading adventures to come...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you! I am slowly weaning myself off mainstream supplies, first by trying to use up all the stockpiled stuff I "inherited" when my sweetie and I moved in together 18 months ago! Yes, he stockpiles that much. Or you could say I clean that little.... either way, I will be looking to you ladies for guidance when my Scrubbing Bubbles are finally gone as well.

    The thought of being able to scent my own laundry is so appealing! Also knowing that it won't be polluting the Chicago River every time I need clean undies.... that's a relief. :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete