Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Best (and Worst) of 2011 Part 1

My Favorite Purchases of 2011This was the first year I really tried to get a lasso around my spending impulses. It was tough, but I can say confidently that I learned from experience in 2011 that More Stuff Does Not Equal More Happy. It's not like I went on a permanent spending fast. Trust me, I spent plenty of money in 2011. But No-Buy July went pretty well, and I have talked myself out of dozens (maybe hundreds) of purchases this year. By putting the kibosh on some of my most long-standing chemical dependencies (commercial face-wash, hair dye, fancy makeup, perfume, chi-chi body wash), my feet darkened the door of my arch-nemesis (Target) far less often in 2011. Staying out of Target greatly reduces my tendency towards impulse-purchasing.
But I did buy some great stuff in 2011. Here were my faves:

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm.
Love. It. I love everything about it. It's a lovely sheer shade that makes your lips look like a better, rosier version of their natural pink. It is actually quite moisturizing, too, as opposed to some of the BB line that is a bit drier and less smooth that this version. Plus, it's 100% Natural AND it's made right down the road in Durham. Yay!

My Nikon D5100
I'm still learning how to use it, and it was by far the spendiest thing I bought in 2011, but I have grown to love it. Really, if you are only going to make a few big purchases, it's best to make sure it is something you love.

I went back to using bareMinerals makeup after several years of liquid foundation. It's not the #1 most greenest-like-ever makeup brand, but one shaker lasts me a good 4 months, so factor in the longevity and I think it does pretty well. It rates pretty well on the Skin Deep site as well. Not awesome, but a solid good choice. And it works for me, so I don't have to keep trying and then discarding other failed attempts.

To-Go-Ware reusable bamboo utensil set
Yes, I am one of those intolerable people who brings her own utensils to restaurants. And after many solo lunches to get my courage up, I will now even use them when I go out with friends if disposable stuff is the only option. I keep them in my purse, so the other bonus is that I am never without a spoon in case I find myself in a "I wish I could eat that Ben and Jerry's right here in the grocery store parking lot" emergency. That alone should inspire you to go get some of these.

I'm sure there are other cool things that I bought this year, but those are my favorite.

And here's a quick list of my LEAST favorite ill-fated purchases to serve as a cautionary tale:

  • Physicians Formula "eco" mascara - smears, greenwashing, ugly packaging
  • Natural Toothpaste - I've tried several, and they all either have SLS in them and/or taste like semi-liquid chalk. If you have any suggestions, please send them my way!
  • Natural deodorant - I didn't find one this year that would work for me, an office drone, for whom pit stains and constant, distracting dampness and vague odor are a workplace liability.
So there you have Part 1 of the Best and Worst! I'll work on the other installments during upcoming lunch breaks. Did you have a great new purchase in 2011? Tell me about it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill!
    Have you tried the Trader Joe's brand of flouride free toothpaste? It is fennel flavor, and some other stuff too. Sounds gross, I know. It's not that bad, to me at least. I have to avoid flouride because it makes me break out, so I don't really have a choice. Theirs is the cheapest I've seen and I don't think its that bad, but Jason can't stand it.
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete