Sunday, July 8, 2012

3 Crackers-Worth

The Great Harvest of 2012 yielded a grand total of ONE perfect cherry tomato:


Yep, just one. On the entire cherry tomato plant that I was convinced would sprout a bumper crop of precious red orbs. You can see in the corner of this picture that there is, in fact, a brand new little green tomato baby on the scene. She came out of nowhere, around the same time that I realized that Little Red was totally ripe. So perhaps I'll get two tomatoes this summer. But there are no other buds to be found.

I felt a lot of pressure to do something totally awesome with the globe-y little miracle. I had grown this tomato FROM A SEED! My very first gardening success. It got off to such a rocky start. I was sure it was doomed. But I was also determined. I faithfully watered it with water rescued from the shower drain and  inspected its leafy nursery every day for bugs; giving quiet thanks for the delicate spider webs that seemed to be doing a great job of that for me. This tomato grew out of a labor of love, and chugged along even though all of my other garden hopes and dreams fried in the ridiculous heat. This tomato was the lone survivor.

So I thought about what to do with it, and concluded that the only reasonable thing to do would be to transform it into a tomato's highest calling: fresh salsa.



Left over organic cilantro from a recipe last week, the tiniest garlic clove you've ever seen, and a tidy pile of onion bits, left over from the nubbin of onion we didn't use in last night's dinner.



Add some Lime Juice and a dash of salt, and you have the smallest portion of salsa I have ever eaten!



Exactly three perfect crackers-worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment