Friday, July 8, 2011

Frugal Food

We've had some successful food experiments over at the G3 apartment this week. Which I think only happened because I also didn't have any after-work plans. Seriously - working moms, or any moms, HOW DO YOU DO IT?

I wasn't sure we could really scrape together a week's work of dinners and lunches without going back to the store, but we did it. Regretably, our kitchen is too revolting for me to have taken any photos of our successes. No, really. I was assembling our dinner plates on straightened-out stacks of dirty dishes last night. You know - you put the dirty plate on top of the dirty cooking pot to make it level and hide the dirty utensils inside the pot and then put your clean dinner plate on top of the teetering pile and scoop on your delicious creation. TMI? That's how we roll in the Shoebox With Scant Countertops.

Last night was my favorite Kitchen Win: Bootleg Bean Chilaquiles. I've never actually eaten chilaquiles, but they always smell delish when other people order them, and decided that I had everything we needed to do a version. Everything except fresh cilantro, which I am avoiding until I can find organic.

I cut up some corn tortillas with kitchen shears and toasted them in some butter in the skillet, making quite delectable little frito-like semi-crunchy corn shreds. Removed them from the pan and set aside. Then I used the hot pan and a tiny bit more butter to cook up the chopped remains of an onion that has been in our fridge for almost too long. Added the leftover black beans, heated them up, then took our two remaining cage-free farmers market eggs and scrambled them in with the beans and onions. Then you just put some of the fried tortilla shreds on a plate, top with the egg/bean/onion mixture, and then top that tasty pile with salsa and avocado. And cheese of course.

Cleaned out the fridge and enjoyed a delish mish-mash of stuff for about, um, $1 per person. SCORE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment